Tuesday 17 February 2009

Kino




I would love to go more often but never seem to get round to it. So I love weekends, when I don't have to work,  a good time for me to catch a film. Come Friday afternoon I slip into relax mode without any effort at all!

This weekend I was spoilt for choice when it came to picking something to watch. On the list happened to be 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona', a film I had no intention of seeing, even though I didn't have a clue about the story line. 

To be honest my decision was based purely on a dislike for its advertising on a billboard I happened to drive by one day. Nah, didn't look like my sort of film. Coupled with the fact that it was written and directed by Woody Allen (of whom I'm not a big fan),  I knew I'd be giving this one a miss.

But then, in  a moment of frivolousness I changed my mind and am glad I did because it was really good. The volatile relationship between Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardems characters (estranged husband and wife) was great acting.  When I found out that the male lead was actually the same actor who'd played the nasty, crazy baddie in 'No Country for Old Men' (another great film), I couldn't believe it. Isn't it amazing what a decent haircut can do for a guy?!

I was impressed that he'd played such a completely different character. A complete seducer, he had the look of Ollie Reed and George Clooney in this film,  attractive in a dangerous kind of way, definitely not a man to take home to your mother.

On the other hand a film I would love to see is Breakfast at Tiffanys.  Once upon a time I actually borrowed the DVD but never made time to watch it. I'm not into romantic films as a rule, but I think for this one I could definitely make an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment